Friday, January 15, 2010

Extreme Macro -the Art of Patience


Sleeping Mason Bee
Originally uploaded by Dalantech.
I recently finished my first book, Extreme Macro -the Art of Patience, and it's a coffee table book with some of my best images from 2009 as well as tips on how to shoot insects at high magnification.

Writing a book is something that I've wanted to do for a while, and I plan on getting into a regular schedule of photography through the year with a new book in the winter. I have a few ideas for the next one, but haven't settled on a single theme yet. If there is anything you'd like to see in the 2010 / 2011 edition then please let me know in the comments.

7 comments:

marimares said...

where can i find this book??

Dalantech said...

@ mirimares: It's in the post, or you can find it here

Dean said...

Ideas for future editions:

1. Expanding on an excellent blog entry by calev seen at http://calevphoto.com/2009/06/02/progression-in-macro-insect-photography/

2. Expanding on my favourite MP-E65 blog of all time: http://calevphoto.com/2008/10/22/zen-and-the-art-of-the-mp-e-65/

3. Unprecedented use of video and MP-E65 given that video capability in DSLRs is becoming all the rage

Dalantech said...

Thanks for the feedback Dean!

While I certainly agree with the way that most people progress in macro I'm not sure I'd want to write about it -especially since most don't get past stage 2 and they don't want me, or anyone else, to tell them that they need to improve...

I might do some sort of guide on the MPE-65mm -definitely a possible book theme. But I'd have to write it from my perspective and that means no tripod or focusing rails.

I really want to get into some video, and I already have some ideas on how to light the scene. But first Canon needs to make a DSLR that can do video and has decent noise performance. I just can't see myself shooting with a camera that's noisier than my 40D, and I can't afford a 5D MK II...

Dean said...

Hi, the book looks great! I think Canon should sponsor you and give you a 5d mk2 because I think you have a fair bit of influence among macro shooters and I know for a fact that people have bought gear based on your testing and recommendations - this probably includes extra sales of MP-E65 and macro flashes which means long-term allegiance to Canon from those buyers. I reckon things would be different if only Nikon had a competitor to MP-E65!

Dalantech said...

I wish you worked for Canon Dean :)

Kurt (OrionMystery) said...

Congrats on the new book John!